search the Beediverse Blog


Daily Archives: December 22, 2010

Our very first yurt was made out of wood lath, 6 sided and covered in tarp.   The tarp was stapled to the wooden frame.  The yurt was set onto a wooden pallet to get it above the wet ground. We checked the inside temperatures by setting up thermometers and recording temperatures over several weeks.  Temperatures were higher than outside temperatures and bees did not get caught in the tarp.  We used it for a season, and it worked well.  But of course lathe is not strong enough for long time use.  We also needed a sturdier structure to hold all the nests.  We also needed a simpler roof design. 


Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Popular Posts

Stop parasitic wasps by using a net bag

Stop parasitic wasps by using a net bag

December 10th, 2013

From summer to early winter place mason bee homes inside a net bag.  This will prevent your mason be[...]

A mason bee tree!  None like this one!

A mason bee tree! None like this one!

January 23rd, 2014

Here is a bee tree that is different!  Surrey municipality (BC) is promoting mason bees and how impo[...]

Today- Beediverse blog read by 65 people.

Today- Beediverse blog read by 65 people.

January 4th, 2014

Whow, today was a busy day on this blog.  Usually we have about 30-35 readers of this blog per day. [...]

Happy Holidays!

Happy Holidays!

December 22nd, 2013

It is holiday time.  We travelled   into the Interior of BC after a snow fall and during a cold snap[...]

Super walls- a closeup

Super walls- a closeup

December 10th, 2013

   When bee finds a nesting tunnel in wood, plastic or some other material, the female bee will plac[...]