This is a dandy tool. The scoop is designed to softly lift cocoons out of nesting trays minimizing cocoon damage. Scoops are made out of wood. These scoops will remove cocoons from small and large nesting tunnels, choose the size that fits the groove.
- Place opened nesting trays on a flat surface or in your hand
- Place end of scoop in one of the grooves, at base of cocoon
- With scoop at a shallow angle, gently push and ease cocoons out of nesting grooves.
- Place cocoons in cold tap water for 1 hour
- Rinse in cold water using a metal sieve to remove mud and mites.
- Last rinse with a cap of bleach in a bucket of water. Let cocoons sit for 5 mins.
- Dry on a paper towel for 1 hour
- Store in fridge at 4C in a Humidity Cooler until spring